The Leaky Gut keeps cropping up in my clinic. Everyone seems to have one. Do you have Leaky Gut? How would you know if you did? Here are nine signs and symptoms of a Leaky Gut
1. Digestive issues such as gas, bloating, diarrhoea or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
2. Seasonal allergies or asthma
3 Hormonal imbalances such as PMS or PCOS.
4. Diagnosis of an autoimmune disease such as rheumatoid arthritis, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, lupus, psoriasis, or celiac disease.
5. Diagnosis of chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia.
6. Mood and mind issues such as depression, anxiety, ADD or ADHD.
7. Skin issues such as acne, rosacea, or eczema.
8. Diagnosis of candida overgrowth.
9. Food allergies or food intolerances.
All well and good, but how do you heal a Leaky Gut?
Dr Myers recommends the Functional Medicine protocol of a comprehensive elimination diet. Food Intolerance testing is not good enough, in my opinion. The Elimination protocol removes the toxic and inflammatory foods for a period of time. Then introduce a 4R program to heal the gut as follows.
Remove the bad. The goal is to get rid of things that negatively affect the environment of the GI tract, such as inflammatory and toxic foods, and intestinal infections.
Replace the good. Add back digestive enzymes, hydrochloric acid and bile acid
Restore beneficial bacteria to establish a healthy balance of good bacteria.
Give nutrients necessary to help the gut repair itself. Some people recommend L-glutamine but its precursor, N Acetyl L Cysteine is cheaper and better. Both help repair the lining of the gut wall.
If you still have symptoms after following the above recommendations, I strongly recommend a comprehensive stool test https://www.cynthiasillars.co.uk/product/g-i-effects-comprehensive-stool-profile/